LINK TO HOPE SHOEBOX APPEAL
I have recently received a letter on behalf of St. Ippolyts Church from Link to Hope and I quote:
„Thank you so much for taking part in the 2019 Family & Elderly Shoebox Appeal. We really do appreciate it. Our final total was 37,400 shoeboxes which we were very happy with considering the changes we made to the appeal last year.
We were particularly pleased that we were able to send extra funds and resources out to our project managers in Eastern Europe thanks to the increase in the shoebox donation. Many people not only benefited from your shoebox but also received wood to see them through the winter, food parcels and necessary house repairs to keep them warm, fed and safe.‟
They also sent a copy of their 2019 Shoebox Delivery Diary which makes very interesting reading. The delivery team went to Iasi in Romania and visited a kindergarten and some homes in the Dallas Shanty Town where, (and I quote): „They met 8 year old David who lives at home with his parents in one room. They have no electricity or running water and they use a wood stove to keep warm, cook, heat water and bathe; but he is lucky, he has both parents.‟
Elsewhere at a homework club, „The team brings in the shoeboxes and we hand them out. There are some wonderful gifts in the shoeboxes and the children‟s eyes are wide as they go through them. Alcoholism and domestic violence are very high in these isolated villages and the children have a rough existence with very little to take them away from their lives. The shoeboxes were that moment of joy when they were in a safe place.‟
At another school the headmistress estimates that 20% of her pupils are from a „normal‟ family, ie. two parents and no major issues (other than just trying to survive). So, what of the other 80%? If you would like to read these stories (and more) in full, and see the accompanying photos, you can do so by going to:
Our shoeboxes may only be a small drop in a large ocean but they really do make a HUGE difference. Thank you once again to everyone who took part.